31 May 2006

Dear Friend, Part 1

We all get them, often on a weekly basis, the e-mails from the "accountant" or "lawyer" or even "widow" of a deceased Nigerian/ Zimbabwean/ Sierra Leonian* businessman/ government minister/ general rich bloke asking for your bank account details so they can siphon money through it (with the obligatory "reward" for your help).
Now, I want to know, has anyone actually ever fallen for one of these blatant scams to get your bank account details? I know people can become guillible when it comes to get rich quick schemes but surely not? And if these emails are so ineffective, why send them?
So, starting from today I'm going to publish on this site every single bloody one of these emails that I receive, feel free to contact the senders.
"Attn/ Please

Good day to you and your lovely family. I am Mr. Yassan Ali-Fayadh, the son of Late Dhari Ali al-Fayadh (Prominent Iraq's House of Assembly Member) who was killed along with three of his bodyguards and my Bother in a suicide bomb attack in the neighborhood of Rashdiya Northern Baghdad. Please view the news website below for detail Story of how I lost my Father and My Bother. [Bother? Shurely shome mistake?]
[we get it, Dhari Ali al-Fayadh died, that doesn't mean he is your father]



My late Father deposited a huge amount with Company here in Dakar Senegal. I got your contact detail from a friend in the neighbor and have so much in trust in you. All I need from you is an assistance to transfer the fund my late Father deposited to your country for investment until I regain my freedom. I will give you 32% of the total sum but most of all is that I solicit your trust in this transaction and will not want you to betray me, and I also want you to know that is a legitimate transaction and which is total risk free and we both will benefit from it. Please all correspondence should be directed to my private email: yassan1@myway.com as await your reply soon.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Yassan Al-Fayadh."
* I'm fairly sure that's not right.

3 comments:

Andy said...

Far too many people fall for them - here's some links:
http://technology.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,843854,00.html
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060515fa_fact
http://archive.salon.com/people/feature/2001/08/07/419scams/

Gentleman-hobbs said...

I always give them an old bank account number. The online companies I have worked with get fake bank drafts for more than the value of the goods. Then they attempt to take the goods and the refund. It's nearly always Nigerian this latter scam.

Liadnan said...

Not only do people fall for them, to the tune of millions, they've been litigated:
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2005/2662.html