20 May 2006

Chris Huhne MP

Attended a post election party in Reading last night, guest speaker was Chris Huhne MP, runner up to Ming the less than Merciless* in the Lib Dem leadership contest earlier this year.


There he is

The man is an excellent speaker, with some interesting ideas and understands the need for the Lib Dems to be regarded as "credible" as well as having solid policies.
He even quoted this poem (which I cited last week) to explain why we should stand up for civil liberties:
They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me,
and by that time no one was left to speak up.
* I'm sorry, but the guy's an advocate, his whole profession is speaking, how can he possibly be screwing up week in week out in the House of Commons.

No comments: