08 April 2005

Pope John Paul II

A great man, I am not disputing that.
However, his views on homosexuality, women and reform of the church were... skewered to say the least. So, here's a nice little quote from The West Wing reminding us all why the Church must always seek to adapt to changing times:

President
: I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President. The Bible does.
President: Yes it does. Leviticus.
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: 18:22.
President Josiah Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I have you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you?

3 comments:

Will said...

New template. Very nice.

The Peter Files Blog of Comedy said...

Peter's Law on values changes in a group whose base values are moderated within a hierarchical structure: The rate of idiological change in a group with hierarchically determined values is directly proportional to the size of the group population multiplied by the rate of leadership change divided by an unknown factor for mass media impact on members of the group with access to it.

The church responds as a world church, and as such moves not like a speed boat, but as an oild tanker, changing direction very slowly and with great effort and with great pain to its membership.

The scope of the Roman Catholic Church world-wide is so large that there are no decisions that do not have unhappy people. Those that own computers and write blogs are such a tiny percentage of the population of the faithful, and the ones in least danger of death or starvation, that the Church has little concern comparatively about us in the short run. This is of course, enormously frustrating to Americans like myself who are used to voting regularly and getting action NOW!

I loved the West Wing quote. I saw it in real time. I doubt that any of the current Papal candidates will take the issue on right now seeing the massive deaths of aids in Africa and all of the orphans, many of whom have aids that this scourge has created, as possibly more important.

Life first. Lifestyles second. I truly am not trying to be sanctimonious, but that is my best guess. When the Cardinals electing a pope have all been born in the television era, I think a difference may be seen in this issue. May - be- seen. Perhaps before that.

Bishops are by thier nature conservators. They get their by being the more conservative of their class of priests and are usually experts at the rules. But they are also human, and compassionate, and times are changing.

Who knows what the future holds?

But if the next Pope IS from Nigeria, it will probably be in part to draw attention to the crisis in Africa. And what a challenge for some I hope small number of American Catholics that will be.

Thanks for visiting my Blog.

Peter

The Peter Files Blog of Comedy said...

Oops. Just saw where you were from. Saw the LibDem blogs logo and made an inappropriate assumption. That when combined with The Producers headline (didn't get to the West End bit) and the fact that you were quoting West Wing.

Ah well, typical American, am I? Can't be helped. I even like Dr. Who. But I can be forgiven because I also love Red Dwarf, and Python. Watch out for Spamalot! when it crosses the pond it got killer reviews when it premiered in Chicago - was sold out before I could get tickets and is rapidly selling out in NYC now.

Spam, apam, spam.

Peter, spam, parrot and Peter